|If you have never been infested before, it could take several weeks to one and a half months after the initial scabies infestation for scabies mite symptoms to show up. If you have been infested with mites previously, symptoms will appear in 1 to 5 days.|
- Scabies is a highly easy to spread condition of the skin that is caused by miniature mites.
- The Scabies Mite causes the problem by eating into ones skin to harbour eggs.
- The mite is virtually invisible to the sufferer and it is a generally common complaint to be infected with scabies.
- A female scabies mite tunnels to lay, and just into the very upper layer of the skin. She eats the skin as she goes and stays in the burrow for her lifetime.
- Once settled in the burrow the scabies mite should begin laying almost immediately and will do so more than once each day and over a period of up to two months.
- The scabies eggs become young mites in a few days, and come out from the burrow to feast on a hair follicle.
- In as few as four days the scabies mite reaches maturity and searches for a mate, at which point the female will go over the process again, burrowing into the skin to lay her eggs.
- The Scabies infected person might notice small bites or pimples initially and it is worth knowing that the mites thrive in warm and moist areas.
- Scabies will most frequently be seen in the armpits or on the chest, as well as the genital area, the fingers, and anywhere where jewellery forms a warm and safe place.
- Places where there are folds in the skin are often infected with the scabies mite and are usual spots for the infection to be found.
- Sufferers with Scabies could notice itching - often very intense and most commonly at night - and the appearance of a red rash, and will be inclined to scratch the area concerned.
- In children it is general for the scabies mite to thrive on the soles of the feet and the palms, and maybe also on the scalp, while in babies it is generally the neck and head that are most often affected.
- Itching and irritation comes about becausae of an allergic reaction that the body gives up to the presence of the scabies mites, and is often very harmful indeed.
- As the scabies suffering spreads the patient will experience hardening of the skin, with crusty and scaly skin appearing in time.
- In those with particularly sensitive skin, or those with severe scabies suffering nodular scabies could be the result.
- Nodular Scabies is a condition which is prevalent when debris left behind by the mite gets left under the skin.
- As scabies could become serious and severe if left untreated it is essential that the best treatment is given for the specified time.
- The older generations and those with susceptible immune systems are particularly likely to suffer from severe cases of scabies, and should be careful as a result.
- Like a number of similar problems scabies is very contagious and it does not necessarily need one to come into direct contact with a case to become infected.
- Lying in a bed or relaxing in a chair that has been used by a sufferer can cause scabies infection, as can close contact with the individual.
- Scabies is often found in nursing homes where the elderly reside, and in those who work in the attached profession and come into contact with cases.
Last update: 04:34 PM Thursday, April 2, 2009