|You can put all sheets, pillows, bedding, stuffed animals and outerwear into the dryer on high for twenty minutes. The heat will kill any scabies mites that are living on these objects. Remember, you also need to treat your car seats and chairs at work.|
- Scabies is a highly contagious disease of the skin that is caused by tiny mites.
- The Scabies Mite brings about the infection by tunnelling into ones skin to lay eggs.
- The mite is practically invisible to us and it is a particularly common thing to be infected with scabies.
- A female scabies mite burrows to lay, and only into the very upper layer of the skin. She eats the skin as she goes and stops in the burrow for her lifetime.
- Once safely in the burrow the scabies mite might start laying almost straight away and will do so more than once a day and over a period of up to two months.
- The scabies eggs are born in a matter of days, and come out from the burrow to exist on the hair follicle.
- In as few as four days the scabies mite reaches maturity and looks for a mate, after which the female will begin the process again, burrowing into the skin to lay her eggs.
- The Scabies sufferer might notice miniature bites or pimples in the first instance and it is worth remembering that the mites breed in warm and moist areas.
- Scabies will most likely be present in the armpits or on the chest, or the genital area, the fingers, and anywhere where jewellery forms a warm spot.
- Places where there are folds in the skin are attractive to the scabies mite and are common spots for the mites to be found.
- Those infected with Scabies could notice irritation - often very intense and most commonly at night - and the appearance of a red rash, and will be inclined to scratch the area affected.
- In youngsters it is usual for the scabies mite to live on the soles of the feet and the palms, and also on the scalp, while in babies it is usually the neck and head that are most often affected.
- Itching and irritation happens becausae of an allergic reaction that the body has to the presence of the scabies mites, and is often very painful indeed.
- As the scabies infection grows the infected person may experience hardening of the skin, with crusty and scaly skin appearing in time.
- In those with sensitive skin, or those with aggressive scabies suffering nodular scabies can be the result.
- Nodular Scabies is a disease and occurs when debris left behind by the mite gets trapped under the skin.
- As scabies could become nasty and severe if left untreated it is essential that the best treatment is used for the specified time.
- The aged and people with susceptible immune systems are particularly likely to suffer from exaggerated cases of scabies, and should be concerned as a result.
- Like lots of similar complaints scabies is particularly contagious and it does not necessarily need one to come into direct contact with a case to become infected.
- Sleeping in a bed or sitting in a chair that has been used by a sufferer can cause scabies infection, as can close contact with the sufferer.
- Scabies is frequently found in nursing homes where the elderly reside, and in people who work in the attached profession and come into contact with sufferers.
Last update: 04:05 PM Thursday, April 2, 2009